The Rheinland Hatchet is lightweight and beautifully crafted, with a traditional German wide-bit woodworker blade. These hatchets are made in Wuppertal, Germany, near the country's famous Rhein River Valley. The Rhein, one of Germany's most prominent geographical features, was a historically significant source of trade and growth for civilizations in the region throughout the early and later medieval periods. Cutting axes like these were a daily necessity for peoples carving out towns and villages in heavily forested regions along the Rhein River. The wide blade makes this hatchet exceptionally well suited for cutting work.
Each piece is handcrafted by Helko’s Master Smiths with over 170 years of expertise. Once the smith is satisfied with his work, the Helko crown logo is hammered into the head. No supplementary work, such as grinding, buffing, or painting is performed, thereby allowing each blade to proudly display its forging marks. As no two pieces are exactly alike, each axe is truly unique.
- Handmade in Germany by Helko's master smiths
- German C45 high grade carbon steel
- Handle is crafted in Switzerland from sustainably sourced and FSC certified Grade A American hickory
- Handle is individually selected for grain orientation and density
- Handle is coated with boiled linseed oil
- Helko crown logo is hammered into the axe head
- Hung by wooden wedge with additional steel ring wedge
- Open die drop forged, heat treated, and oil-hardened
- Includes 1oz bottle of Axe-Guard protective oil
- Includes Leather Sheath
- Head Weight: 1.25 lbs
- Total Weight: 2 lbs
- Handle Length: 14 in
*Handle colors may vary, and we cannot guarantee color.