Basic Survival Required Equipment List
- Camping is Primitive (Tent/Hammock) and Walk-In Only
- Food is not provided, so bring adequate food and snacks
- Electrolyte drink mixes are recommended (Gatorade, Powerade, or Jello)
- Port-a-Potties are located 400 yards from Base Camp and serve as the only means of restroom facilities
Each student MUST have their own equipment to complete the required deliverable tasks. Each student MUST have their own equipment to complete the required deliverable tasks. While you may substitute items, doing so is at your own risk and may prevent you from completing assigned tasks.
The following items below are the REQUIRED Items to be used for the completion of the Pathfinder Basic Survival course. IF you do not have or cannot get the items below they will be available to rent, and any rental arrangements must be made with the store prior to class.
Basic Survival Equipment List:
NOTE: IF YOU NEED TO ORDER ITEMS FROM SELF RELIANCE OUTFITTERS YOU MUST DO SO NO LATER THAN TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO CLASS TO ENSURE YOU RECEIVE YOUR GEAR. ORDERS CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO THE SCHOOL PROPERTY FOR PICK UP.
The 10 C's of Survivability refer to the 10 Categories of Tools used in survival. Please separate the 10 C's into an easily manageable backpack or haversack (shoulder bag) as these are the primary tools you will utilize:
1) Cutting Tools:
- Knife: Should be non-coated with a 90 degree spine.
- Folding Saw
- We recommend the Bahco Laplander
- SAK (swiss army knife) or MT (multi tool)
2) Combustion Devices: Fire Kit Components
- Two Bic Lighters
- 1/2” x 6” Ferrocerium Rod (DO NOT bring a small one!)
- Fresnel Lens
3) Cover: Emergency Shelter
- All Weather 5x7 Space Blanket
- Two, 6mil, 55 gallon Drum Liners
Swagman Roll or Poncho Liner
- Mil Spec Poncho
- 6 plastic tent stakes (no metal)
- Survival Bivvy (Classes from Nov thru March)
Accordion Style Sleeping Mat (Classes from Nov thru March)
5) Container: Drinking & Cooking
- 2 Water Bottle & 1 cup or 2 Canteens and 1 cup. All must be stainless steel and the bottle or canteen must be a minimum of 32oz.
- MilBank Bag
7) Cloth & Repair
- (1) 100% cotton 2XL Orange T Shirt
- (2) Shemaghs
8) Candling Device: Lighting
- Headlamp . If your headlight is rechargeable, you will be allow to bring a recharge brick to recharge your headlamp. If it operates off batteries then bring two sets of extra batteries. Headlamp must have a red light mode.
9) Cargo: Tape
- (1) 1" x 30' yard Roll of Gorilla Tape (Not Standard Duct Tape, GORILLA BRAND ONLY)
Additionally you will need:
- All Weather Notebook/ Journal
- 3 Pencils/ All Weather Pens
- Analog Watch
- Pair of Leather Gloves
- Clothes appropriate for weather conditions and spare socks.
- Appropriate Hygiene Items
- Bring any Just add water or MRE style food & snacks that you need (no meals are provided)
- Bring any medications need (prescription meds only).
- Bug Repellent (seasonal)
You may camp with a Tent or Hammock and you are not limited to what you may bring. We recommend leaving coolers in vehicle and taking items out as needed during breaks as they are given.