How to break in your Millbank Bag
- Saturate the bags in water, squeeze the water through the bag to make sure they are fully wet.
- Then Scrunch them up and squeeze the bag. This will help to soften the canvas and open the fibers.
- Repeat the process 3/4 times allowing the bag to dry in-between.
- You can also put the bag in the washing machine. Wash on a cold rinse cycle with NO detergent and NO fabric softener. Then let it air dry.
How to use a Millbank bag
- Start by thoroughly soaking the bag in water, to ensure it is saturated.
- Fill the bag to the top with water to be filtered.
- Allow the water in the bag to flow down to the stitched line that’s runs across the front of the bag approx. ¼ of the way down the bag. Do not collect this water, allow it to run onto the ground. This helps remove any debris on the outside of the bag and prevent it from dropping into your collecting pot.
- The water will take between 5 and 10 minutes to pass through the bag.
- Once the water has been filtered it must be purified. Next is to bring the water to a rolling boil to remove any unseen pathogens from the water. You can only use a chemical water disinfectant or processing through a water filter system.
Care and Storage
After each use turn the bag inside out and remove any built-up of sediment and debris. You can wash it out in clean water and allow the bag to dry out, this enables you to knock the dried sediment out once dried. A small brush is also effective for removing dried sediment. Make sure the bag is thoroughly cleaned and dried before storing it away.