- Principle of Shelter Craft
- Roving Camps vs Base Camp mentality
- Friction and Percussion Fire
- Water Collection and Disinfection
- Navigation by Terrain and Celestial Bodies
- Map Reading and Self Mapping
- Resource Management
- Crafting usable objects for a Camp Setting
- Primitive Hunting Implements and Trapping
- Foraging and Medicinal Trees
- Preserving Meat sources
- Hikes of 5+ miles (with your gear) at a time to collect sticks and other materials off the landscape
- Navigation over uneven and potentially very muddy terrain while carrying your gear
- As part of the final exercise (night 3) you will be required to sleep in a bush camp shelter that you will construct. You will have limited gear for comfort- no exceptions are made, if you cannot make fire, you simply will not have it.
IMPORTANT: Regardless of your experience or skill level in the woods, the Pioneer class is an intense class and is definitely a few steps above the Basic class.
*It is strongly recommended that you take the Basic class before Intermediate.
Facilities - Port-a-Pots are located approximately 400 yards from base camp near the parking area.
Water will be available from jugs located in Base Camp. We continually check the water supply to make sure it is readily available.We do not allow anyone to remain at camp without an instructor present.
Preparing for the Class:
If you suffer from a medical condition that requires medication, please bring your prescribed medicines with you. If you undergo surgery or a hospital stay within 30 days of the class, DO NOT attempt this course.
Highly recommend - physically prepare yourself at least 1-3 months in advance of this class. Based on your “starting point” physical condition.
- Hiking: uneven terrain will provide the most benefit.
- Walking: (at least 3-4 times weekly) for 5K-10K
- Work your way up to a pack weight of 50lb
As the premier school for self-reliance, our training exceeds that of any other school in the nation; so please take it seriously and take the time to physically prepare.Non-Patch Qualification Policy
- When a student enrolls it is fully expected that they intend to certify in Intermediate Survival (by going for the patch).
- If you fall behind but are doing your best, we will support your effort 100%! We will encourage you to keep it up and complete the course to the best of your ability.
- Should you be unable to keep up with the group due to physical injury or other health problem(s), we will go above and beyond to assist you by aiding in your mobility, administering hydration and personal motivation! Should those efforts fail, leaving you unable to complete the course, we will need to ask you to leave the school grounds.
- If you (tap out) quit at any point, a helper will be assigned to aid you in packing up your gear and you will need to exit the school grounds.
- Again, it is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE, to complete the course without qualifying for the patch, just let your instructor know that this is your desire.
- To those graduating from the course, a Intermediate Class Patch and Certificate of Completion, signed by the Instructional staff will be issued to you.
- To those remaining throughout the course but did not meet the requirements of Patch Qualification, a Certificate of Training shall be issued to you, signed by the Instructional staff.
- Both documents note Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) awarded.
Age Requirement: Students must be at least 16 years of age to attend this course. It's strongly recommended that they have completed a Basic Survival course prior to enrollment.
Due to property insurance restrictions:
There will be no camping on the school property prior to the start of the class or after the classes concludes. Students under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
NOTE: IF YOU NEED TO ORDER ITEMS FROM SELF RELIANCE OUTFITTERS YOU MUST DO SO NO LATER THAN TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO CLASS TO ENSURE YOU RECEIVE YOUR GEAR. ORDERS CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO THE SCHOOL PROPERTY FOR PICK UP.
If you bring a minor that is not your child, you must have a signed Emergency Care Authorization form filled out by that child's parent(s) or legal guardian. Reference your Confirmation email for this document.
Due to property insurance restrictions: There will be no camping on the school property prior to the start of the class or after the classes concludes.